Section menu

You are here

Working in the UK


Working as a radiographer in the United Kingdom

Radiographers in the United Kingdom are highly professional practitioners who provide services which are central to delivering fast and reliable diagnosis of disease and curative and palliative care for cancer patients. As such, radiographers in the United Kingdom take responsibility for leading complete procedures within imaging or radiotherapy.

Radiography education in the United Kingdom is degree level and all pre-registration courses are at least three years in length, full-time and are Bachelor of Science degrees from universities.

Requirements of the Health and Care Professions Council

To work as a radiographer in the United Kingdom, it is necessary to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). All the information you require is online.  Alternatively you can phone them on +44 (0) 20 7840 9802 (from the UK 0845 300 4472).

The HCPC will consider each case individually and will look at the length and level of the training leading to qualification and to the experience gained working as a radiographer overseas. The HCPC will need to be satisfied that the overseas applicant meets the Standards of Proficiency for Radiographers. The HCPC also has requirements regarding proficiency in English and this is explained on its website.

UK NARIC is the National Agency responsible for providing information and expert opinion on vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from over 180 countries worldwide.  

Seeking employment

The NHS provides information for overseas applicants who wish to work in the National Health Service.

Jobs are advertised on-line at NHS Jobs.

Additionally, posts and employment agencies are advertised on this website in the ‘Jobs’ section.

The Society and College of Radiographers

The Society of Radiographers is the professional body for radiographers in the United Kingdom. It is not mandatory to join but many radiographers like to take advantage of the membership benefits, which include professional indemnity cover, publications, professional support and help in industrial relations.


Content tools

Accessibility controls

Text size